- TBU Tomas Bata University in Zlín
- FT Faculty of Technology
- FAME Faculty of Management and Economics
- FMC Faculty of Multimedia Communications
- FAI Faculty of Applied Informatics
- FHS Faculty of Humanities
- FLCM Faculty of Logistics and Crisis Management
- Library TBU Library
- HRR Halls of Residence and Refectory
- UNI University Institute
The Department of Production Engineering is one of two institutions, which arose from the sub-division of the Department of Rubbers and Plastics Technologies. Its establishment dates from the foundation of Tomas Bata University in Zlin on 01, 01, 2001.
The Department of Production Engineering is the institution which prepares students for design and dimensioning of plastic parts and design and manufacturing of plastic processing equipment.
The Department of Production Engineering (DPE or ÚVI in Czech) provides tuition in the spheres of the processing of, and the applications of, polymer materials and polymer-based composites. The pedagogical activities of the Department are oriented on the above´s theoretical bases and applications, the applied rheology of polymers, machinery and equipment for processing plastics and rubbers, the dimensioning of products made from polymer materials and composites with polymer matrices, as well as the construction of tools and other ancillary devices. Education activities are realized in study programme Process Engineering both in Bachelor's study programme (Technological Equipment) and Master's study programme (Construction of Technological Equipment, Production Engineering, Quality Management).
Department is also responsible for the delivery of some courses for Faculty of Technology, especially for study programme Chemistry and Material Technology; Technology of Leather, Plastics and Rubber in specialization Rubber and Plastics Technology.
The R&D activities of the DPE/ÚVI cover a wide range of areas involving processing polymer materials in similar ways to its pedagogical activities. The Department has excellently equipped laboratories and computing technical back up.
The Department is concerned with the research activities in similar fields like in the pedagogical activities:
- Designing and dimensioning of the polymer and composite parts with polymer matrices.
- Modelling the mechanical behaviour and structural analysis of products from polymer materials and composites with polymer matrices.
- Construction of tools for polymer processing (injection molds, extrusion head...), flow simulation of polymer melts.
- Simulation of behaviour of polymers (Moldflow, Cadmould, Virtual Extrusion Laboratory).
- Scanning of fast processes by high – speed camera.
- Contact and non – contact methods of scanning the surfaces and shapes.
- Use of modern technologies (rapid prototyping...) in the construction of tools for polymer processing.
- Machining and wear of polymers, composites with polymer matrices and metals.
- Microhardness test for metals and polymers.
- Manufacturing fiberglass and carbon laminates of polyester and epoxy resins, hand lay – up method and the method of vacuum infusion lamination, production of sandwich structures with different layers of honeycomb and support, prepreg technology, testing of mechanical and thermal properties of composites.
- PIM technology – Injection moulding of metallic and ceramic powders.
- Study of energy consumption (dielectric heating, optimization of mixing process), modification of polymer properties.
- Study of polymer structure and morphology (X – ray diffraction: crystalinity, crystal size and its orientation in semicrystaline polymers, polymer morphology by electron microscopy and diffraction, polymer thermal characteristic by differential scanning calorimetry.
- Electro- and magneto-rheological suspensions (Intelligent systems changing their stiffness according to the external electric or magnetic field).
- Metal and polymer cutting (conventional, non-conventional and finishing methods).
- Laser micromachining of polymeric materials.