FAQ related to the Erasmus programme

How much money will I receive for studying/working abroad through the Erasmus programme? Will this amount suffice?

The amount of financial contribution for study/work abroad is given as a fixed monthly rate, set yearly by the National Agency for European Educational Programs and depends on the country where you will study/work. A current list of countries and financial amounts are available here.

Generally, financial contributions will cover basic expenses, such as accommodation and food. Of course, the type of accommodation and your standard of living will greatly affect your budget. We recommend considering all options when looking for accommodation (dormitories, private accommodation), since prices of accommodation abroad can vary greatly. For example, the cost of dormitory in Lyon, France is cca 290 EUR/month while private accommodation offered by the university is cca 400 EUR/month. Therefore, your search for accommodation should be extensive and should not be left to the last minute.

The experience of a FaME student: “My Erasmus study abroad program was in France. As for finances, I tried to save up during the week so that I could travel over the weekend, for example to the Alps. I agreed with my parents, prior to my departure, that they would send me the same amount of money as if I were at home, in the Czech Republic. So financially, I was ok. But it is better to have some savings just in case, because you never know what can happen.”

I already went on Erasmus but would like to go again. What are my options?

Every university student can participate in Erasmus only once for a study programme and once for a placement, but there are many other opportunities to study or work abroad.

Students often use the so-called freemover programme. As a freemover, you can visit any university in the world. The bilateral agreement AIA offers study opportunities in more than 40 countries worldwide. Another option is the CEEPUS programme, which offers study programmes in Central European countries, such as Slovenia, Bulgaria, Poland, Austria, Moldova and others. You can also travel to Norway, Liechtenstein or Iceland with the Norwegian funds and funds EHP programmes.

Which documents do I have to submit to the foreign institution in order to get accepted to the Erasmus programme?

Once the selection process is over, you have to contact the foreign university at which you want to study in order to find out their acceptance conditions, required documents, deadlines, etc. Standard submitted documents are as follows:

  • Student Application Form
  • Learning Agreement, which was approved by the faculty coordinator on the web portal (FT and FaME – Guarantor of the degree course, FMC – Head of Studio, FAI – Director, FHS – Guarantor for Foreign Mobilitiy, FLCM – Vice-Dean for Pedagogical Activities) and signed by the Vice-Dean for International Relations from your faculty (faculty coordinator authorized to sign).

Other requirements can be:

  • Transcript of Record with study results you have achieved
  • Accommodation application
  • Portfolio

Which documents do I have to bring to the TBU International Office prior to leaving for Erasmus?

If the foreign university has accepted you, they will send the confirmed Learning Agreement (possibly also an Acceptance Letter) to your home address or to the TBU International Office, which you need to bring with you to the TBU International Office no later than on the day of the signing of the financial agreement. Without the Learning Agreement confirmed by the foreign institution (or Letter of Acceptance) the financial agreement cannot be signed. The signing of the financial agreement usually takes place at the TBU International Office, 2-3 weeks prior to the planned departure for your study abroad. 

Besides the Learning Agreement, you also have to submit a Proposal of Recognition signed by the faculty coordinator.

In order to conclude the financial agreement, it is also necessary to correctly mark the dates of the semester, based on which the amount of your financial aid is calculated.

When studying abroad during the winter semester, you must also be enrolled for the next year of your study, prior to the financial agreement signing. 

Which documents should I bring to the TBU International Office after my return from Erasmus study abroad?

Within 15 days of your arrival, you must submit at the TBU International Office the Transcript of Records, where the results of your study abroad are noted. You will obtain this document from the foreign institution (personally, by email or mail). If the Transcript of Records is not available to you within 15 days, please contact the TBU International Office.

Within 15 days of your arrival, you should also bring to the TBU International Office the Confirmation of Erasmus Study Period, where the length of your stay must correspond with the length of stay indicated in the financial agreement.

In case you changed subjects while abroad, you also have to submit the Learning Agreement Changes to the TBU International Office.

Do not forget to fill out the final report in the Database of final reports.

What should I do if my subject has changed while abroad?

First, contact the faculty coordinator (administrator) who approved your original list of subjects. You should consult this person all subject changes and the impact these changes will have on your Proposal of Recognition. All subject changes must be recorded in the UTB web Portal. Once all changes in the Portal have been approved, print out the Learning Agreement Changes (LA-CH), sign it and get it signed by the foreign institution as well. You will then send this document along with the new Proposal of Recognition to the Vice-Dean of International Relations at your faculty (faculty administrator authorized to sign).

All changes must be made within 1 month of the beginning of your study abroad.

I would like to study outside of Europe. Is this possible?

Yes, it is possible to study at any university in the world as a “Freemover”. As a Freemover, you may receive maximum financial aid of 10,000 CZK per month (for Slovakia it is 5,000 CZK) from the TBU International Office. Other options are available via the bilateral agreement AIA, under which you can study in 1 of over 40 countries worldwide.

Where can I find a list of universities where I can study as part of the Erasmus programme?

Every faculty has signed bilateral agreements with various universities in the European Union. A complete list of partner universities is available on your faculty web site in the international relationship section.

What is the first step to take if I want to study abroad through Erasmus?

The first step is to submit an application to the selection committee at your faculty. The regular selection procedure always takes place in January/February for the next academic year. In case of available financial means, additional selections can be organized for September/October for the summer semester of a given academic year. 

Will all the subjects that I study abroad be recognized?

Subject recognition is dealt with by each individual faculty. Contact your Vice-Dean for International Relations to receive more details. However, all subjects that you have studied abroad will be noted at the end of your studies in your Diploma Supplement.

What subjects do I need to complete when I return from study abroad, and who decides about that?

If you do not find a subject abroad that is equivalent to an “A” UTB subject, you will need to complete this subject afterwards. What subjects exactly you will have to complete will be decided by the faculty coordinator administrator.

Does the length of the study programme noted in my financial agreement need to correspond with the dates on the Confirmation of Erasmus Study Period document?

Yes, the length of stay noted in the Confirmation of Erasmus Study Period should be the same. In case your stay is shorter, your grant will be recalculated and you may be required to returned a proportional part of the grant. In case your stay is longer, that extra time is being considered as zero-grant stay. Only in the case of available finances can you sign a financial agreement amendment and receive additional financial aid.

What do I have to prepare before going to sign the Financial Agreement?

You can only sign the Financial Agreement once you have your Learning Agreement (or Acceptance Letter) confirmed by the foreign university. The Financial Agreement is signed at the International Office. At the signing, you will need your student ID number, your bank account number and the length of your study abroad stay. 

When studying abroad during the winter semester, you must also be enrolled for the next year of your study, prior to the financial agreement signing. 

What should I do when my financial agreement has a due date for transcript submission, but I still have not received the transcript from the foreign university. 

Some universities take longer when completing the Transcript of Records. If this is your case and you do not have your transcript of records ready by the due date on your financial agreement, come to the International Office to notify us.

What will happen if I do not pass an exam while abroad?

If you are not studying the subjects according to your Learning Agreement or Learning Agreement Changes, you can be charged with financial sanctions, which depend on the amount of your financial aid; 5% of your stipend for each different subject.

How many credits do I have to earn abroad?

The standard number of credits earned in one semester abroad is 30 ECTS. You should do everything possible to plan and obtain this number of credits.

If you earn less than 18 ECTS abroad, you can be financially sanctioned as follows: 12-17 ECTS, 20% sanction from granted stipend; 6-11 ECTS, 40% sanction from granted stipend; 0-4 ECTS, 60% sanction from granted stipend.