Tomas Bata University in Zlín

Open in navigation

Practical Information


Students from EU countries

The Czech Republic has been a member of the European Union since 2004. Therefore, no visa/long-term residence permit is needed for students coming from EU member states (plus Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland).

At the point of entry to the CR, an EU citizen needs to present only a travel document at the request of the police. EU citizens entering the territory of the CR will be allowed to use national ID cards besides standard travel documents (e.g. ordinary passport, diplomatic passport, service passport).

Students from non-EU countries

Students from non-EU countries should apply for a special kind of VISA which is called “long-term residence permit for the purpose of study in the Czech Republic.” You are expected to contact the Embassy of the Czech Republic in your home country in order to obtain the latest information regarding the long-term residence permit requirements.

If you are from one of the following countries, we can contact appropriate Czech embassy via special Regime Student for newly accepted university students and they will then contact you directly with the suggestion for VISA application interview date.
States and embassies listed in Regime student for our university are: Russia, Ukraine, Vietnam Kazakhstan, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Iran, Serbia, Philippines, Egypt, Indie, Pakistan, China, Nigeria, Ghana. Embassies have limited monthly quotas in this special Regime Student, so it is not 100% chance you will be granted VISA appointment date, but if granted the spot, it will be probably faster than if you would apply yourself.

Everyone needs the following:

(NECESSARY documents which you have to bring with you for the VISA application to the Czech Embassy)

  • a completed application form
  • a document of availability of accommodation during the stay in the territory (Accommodation Contract – this you will receive from us – we will issue VISA accommodation contract after final admission and will sent it to you together with admission documents)
  • a travel document (a.k.a. Passport)
  • two photographs
  • a document confirming the purpose of the stay (Admission Decision for Study – also from us)
  • a document confirming the availability of funds to cover the costs of your stay in the territory in case of university studies or unpaid practical professional training (Decision on Eligibility for Extraordinary Scholarship (if it were awarded to you) or sufficient bank balance at your bank account – minimal balance of your bank account should be 81400 CZK (approximately 3200 EUR) for the first year. (For exact amount in your currency divide 81400 by the present exchange rate of your bank to CZK.
  • an Extract from the Penal Register to assess your criminal record, issued by the state whose national you are, as well as by states where you stayed for more than 6 consecutive months in the last 3 years, or a solemn declaration if such state does not issue such document. A foreign document must be appropriately certified unless stipulated otherwise by an international treaty that is binding for the Czech Republic, and accompanied by an official translation into Czech
  • a medical report certifying that you do not suffer from a serious disease (if requested)
  • travel medical insurance* for an amount of at least EUR 60,000 in the Czech Republic (such insurance shall be presented before affixing the visa in the passport; however, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic recommends presenting the insurance at the time of submission of the visa application); the medical insurance contract and the information about insurance conditions should be translated by a certified translator (if not in Czech language) – Info about recommended Health insurance companies for study stay at Czech republic, will be given to you by International office also together with admission documents.
  • a proof a payment of the fee for submission of the application for a long-term residence permit

A decision on the permission of long-term residence in the territory of the Czech Republic shall be issued within 60 days after the submission date of the application for issue of a long-term residence permit for the purpose of study.

In case your application for the long-term residence permit has been refused, you have the right to appeal against this decision; the appeal should be addressed to the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy of the Ministry of Interior of the Czech Republic that made the decision about your application within 15 days after delivering the information about the application refusal.

* New requirements for the proof of travel health insurance

In the case a foreign national asks for issuing a long-term residence permit abroad and submitting a proof of travel health insurance is required, such insurance must cover costs associated with necessary and urgent health care, including the costs associated with transportation, including mortal remains in the event of death, and such insurance must not exclude providing an insurance payment in the case of accident caused by a willful act, negligence or contributory negligence of the insured, even as a result of drinking alcohol, taking narcotics or psychotropic drugs by the insured. The amount of the insurance payment limit must be at least EUR 60,000.00.
If a foreign national submits the application abroad, the travel health insurance can be taken out not only at an insurance company authorized to provide such insurance in the Territory of the Czech Republic, but also at an insurance company which is entitled to provide such insurance in the other member states of the European Union and/or in a state which is bound by the Treaty on the European Economic Area (Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway), or in a state where the foreign national is a citizen or where he/she has a permitted residence. In such cases, the foreign national is obliged to submit an officially authenticated translation of the insurance policy and general insurance terms and conditions to Czech together with the proof of travel health insurance. Upon request, he/she shall also submit a proof of the payment of insurance premium for the whole term of required stay in the Territory.
A foreign national is not required to submit a proof of travel health insurance if he/she is a participant in the public health insurance or if the payment of costs of healthcare is paid on the basis of an international treaty, or if the foreign national proves that healthcare is paid in a different manner (i.e. on the basis of a written undertaking of a legal entity if the foreign national´s stay in the Territory of the Czech Republic is beneficial for the development of spiritual values, protection of human rights and/or other humanitarian values, protection of the environment, cultural monuments and traditions, the development of science, education, sport or on the basis of a written undertaking of a state authority and/or on the basis of an undertaking contained in an invitation authenticated by the Police). Recommended health insurance companies: Pojišťovna VZP, a.s., AXA životní pojišťovna, MAXIMA pojišťovna, a.s. (most of hospitals in the CR support these companies).

For further information on long-term residence permit issues kindly refer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic – Entry & Residence.

Faculties and departments